Thursday, April 26, 2012

Got my leave, bid me farewell

ITS HAPPENING.The wheels of time(kala) churn away and we mortal beings wonder how it came to this stage.I hang up my uniform in 2 days time. 23 years. Really i dont believe it. Ihave not changed, i am still confused, unsure and uncertain. I have a feeling of being a vagrant.Never have i been anyplace i can sincerely call my own. Always passing though, waiting for the next flight as ordered.
   Who am i? The reflection in the mirror or the shadow i cast.Am i the person who wears the uniform and looks stern or the man in rags supplicating to all.Am i the words or the music? These seem stupid thoughts but, they rustle up in my mind. 45 years and the rustle is louder. My farewell speech was a poem from GITANJALI by Rabindranath Tagore. It was so appropriate, as if written for my goodbye.



Farewell

I have got my leave. Bid me farewell, my brothers!
I bow to you all and take my departure.

Here I give back the keys of my door
---and I give up all claims to my house.
I only ask for last kind words from you.

We were neighbors for long,
but I received more than I could give.
Now the day has dawned
and the lamp that lit my dark corner is out.
A summons has come and I am ready for my journey.
Rabindranath Tagore

No comments:

Post a Comment